The show version command on a switch displays information about the currently loaded software version, along with hardware and device information. Some of the information displayed by this command is:
- Software version - IOS software version
- Bootstrap version - Bootstrap version
- System up-time - Time since last reboot
- System restart info - Method of restart (e.g., power cycle, crash)
- Software image name - IOS filename
- Switch platform and processor type - Model number and processor type
- Memory type (shared/main) - Main processor RAM and shared packet I/O buffering
- Hardware interfaces - Interfaces available on the switch
- Configuration register - Sets bootup specifications, console speed setting, and related parameters.
The figure shows a sample of typical show version output displayed by a switch.